CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

MRI and Mammo update

Yesterday I had a mammogram and an MRI.

While the mammogram was not nearly as bad as I had anticipated, it was still not the most pleasant thing in the world.

Then the MRI, it was cold and loud.

But this morning, they called and said they wanted me to return to Utah Valley Regional Medical Center (where I had gone for the mammo and the MRI) to have another biopsy, performed with the aid of an ultrasound.  Oh boy, oh boy...

So mom and I trekked off to to UVRMC and the women's center.  The room for the ultrasound was very, very warm.  Evidently, between the radiologist and Dr. Tittensor, they found some other areas of concern in my left breast.  So, the nurse and the doctor today, found two areas of concern and took biopsies of both areas.  I held Nadjya and squeezed her when it hurt.  The doctor numbed it with lydocaine which did not hurt nearly as bad as when Dr. Tittensor did it, but I decided maybe that hurt worse because of the infection.  Then he used a very, very large needle (according to mom, I did not see it) to take a biopsy toward the outside of my breast.  They marked the area too, with some kind of marker or dye or something.  Then he numbed the inside, and took a biopsy from there too.  I think he should have used more numbing agent the second time, cause that one definitely hurt.  After they were done, he wanted two more mammogram views of the left side, so I got to go do that again.  My breast has all this blue color on it from the gel they used during the biopsy.  After the mammogram and the doctor was satisfied with the pictures, the nurse put these cute ice packs on me, to help with the swelling.

Evidently, there is more to be concerned about and I am not having the surgery tomorrow, it seems likely it will be a week from tomorrow.  The radiologist said the results will not likely be back from the biopsies until Tuesday of next week, with the holiday.

I find it ironic that everyone says to rest, relax and take it easy over the holiday.  Um, sure...  While I still remain optimistic, I have found it to be more stressful waiting on the unknown.  But I would rather be safe than sorry.  Mom said she was really proud of me while they did the biopsy.  She said I did really well.  I did tear up a little during and just after, but I know everything will be okay.

The numbing agent has worn off some and I am hurting a little.  I took some Tylenol in hopes of easing the pain some.  I have mints to mold and turkeys to make, but I forgot the Whoppers for the turkeys.  Mom and I came home to rest a bit and then have to go to the grocery store to get stuff for Thanksgiving dinner.  But I am amazed at how much this really is kicking my behind.  I get played out pretty easy, but I believe it is partially the emotional toll this plays on me too.  And we all know there is already psychological issues with me anyhow--so you don't have to tease me or joke... but really, the waiting, I've decided it's the worst.

So I'll keep you posted and updated, still...

1 comments:

Rachel said...

Yes, I agree, waiting is the worst. Bless your heart. You are in our prayers. Let us know if you need anything. Please don't hesitate to call xoxox