CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, March 23, 2007

My attempt at being a movie critic

Tonight we went to see Shooter with Mark Wahlberg. This movie is based on the book Point of Impact (I hope).

Overall, okay movie, a little bloody and a lot of shooting and explosions. But saying it was based on the book is a stretch.

Now I know many books-turned-into-movies are not always the best, but this one was loosely based on the book.

For starters the book's main character was a sniper in Vietnam. The movie's character a sniper for the Marine Corps, but more currently and when he lost his spotter in a Mission (for lack of a better word) he got out. Now it's post 9/11, but I am not sure how he got out (given that the military is still sending troops on their umpteenth tour no matter physical or mental well-being). But that is a tangent for another soapbox.

They left out key parts of the book that helped explain some of Bob Lee's actions (the main character) as well as changed locations where he lived (a big thing for me because in the book he's from Arkansas and in the movie they moved him to Wyoming). Mind you I realize there are those out there that just assume that is one backwater locale to another, but hey, we rednecks know where we are from and what differentiates us from other backwater rednecks.

Even James (who read the book initially and then told me I HAD to read it), said there were aspects of the book that needed to have remained in the movie and the movie lost some of the integrity by straying so far from the book.

Mark Wahlberg is a real bad-a$$ and the little gal who plays a supporting role is a cutie, and rightfully takes out some of her rage and frustration on someone in a wholly therapeutic way. Makes me wish I'd been home at the noon hour to see what Doug Wright thought of the movie (if he had mentioned it on KSL-5 at noon).

Maybe I'll look it up.

In today's other fun events, I got to lunch with some dear friends of mine, Debby and Bobbie. We had a great time and I must thank Bobbie for the cookies (James thanks you too). I just wish Goodwood wasn't quite so stingy with their portions as I recall they used to be a little larger than they were today. Keep this in mind Goodwood...

Also got a few things, including a pierced finger from candy molds, didn't know they could do that did you? A least it quit hurting a lot sooner than my poor stubbed baby toe, in fact thinking about it now, it still throbs a little and I did that around 10:40 this morning.

Anyway, I'll keep you up to date, gotta get my house cleaned up for my family a-comin', and that includes some laundry, some vacuumin', some scrubbin', and some rearrangin' and sortin'. As well as reading up on the lessons for Sunday, and doing who knows what else tomorrow...

Until then...

3 comments:

Susie J. said...

ok, seriously... HOW do you pierce your finger on a candy mold??? I'm trying to picture it and it's not working...
Thanks for the review of the movie... I was thinking it looked like a good one. Then again, I havent' read the book so maybe stuff like that won't bother me. ;)

Unknown said...

Well, they have corners and I am my mother's daughter (the same lady we try to not let have knives and things she might hurt herself or others with, ya know). So it essentially poked my index finger in between the joint on my hand and the first knickle on that finger with the corner. It hurt...

Susie J. said...

owwwwwie!